Already have a Username/Password for Journal of Military Studies?
Go to Login
Need a Username/Password?
Go to Registration
Registration and login are required to submit items online and to check the status of current submissions.
Submission Preparation Checklist
As part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
A separate Title Page should be submitted as an annex alongside the article, including Article Title, Author Details for each Author and possible Acknowledgements. The Author Details should include name, affiliation, Author biography (max 50 words) and e-mail address for each Author. Corresponding Author should be identified. Author identification should not be included in the Article.
Abstract and Key Words
The Abstract may not exceed 200 words and should include at least purpose of the Article, Methodology or Approach, Findings and information of originality. The number of Key Words should be two to six. Keywords are subject to approval by the editorial team and may be replaced by a matching terms.
Fonts and Headings
The Times New Roman font should be used unless something else is advised. The basic font size is 12. Headings must be concise, with a clear distinction between the hierarchy of headings. The Title is written in Capital Letters, the first level heading in Bold 14 font and the sub-headings in Italics 14 font. The headings should be unnumbered.
Notes and References
Notes should be used only if necessary. Notes identified in the text by numbers enclosed in square brackets and listed at the end of the article, before Acknowledgements and References.
JMS recommends the Harvard style in referencing (see eg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parenthetical_referencing#History or Chicago Manual of Style) , e.g. the authors, year and possible pages in parenthesis as (Kendall & Kimble, 2002: 46-47). At the end of the paper an unnumbered reference list in alphabetical order should be supplied. For electronic sources a separate list should be supplied with the full URLs indicated.
In the list, for journal references, give the author(s), year of publication, title, journal name, volume, number and pages. For book references, give the author(s), year of publication, title, publisher and place of publication. For book chapters give the author(s), year of publication, chapter title, “in”, editor(s) of the book, title of the book, publisher and place of publication.
Figures and Tables
All Figures and Tables must be of high quality and readable with ease in the scale of the standard page size. In graphics, the resolution must be at least 300 dpi and the size 10 cm at minimum. Figures and Tables should be placed in the appropriate place in the Article with no cross linking. All Figures and Tables should be submitted also as separate appendixes in electronic form. Graphics may be submitted in colour for on-line publishing, but they must be convertible for grayscale in printing.
Articles for the Journal of Military Studies should be submitted electronically in MS Word format with figures and tables as a separate JPG or MS Word file. The page size is B5 (18,2 x 25,7 cm) with 2 cm margins, which should be noted especially when designing tables and graphics. If articles are accepted, further instructions of the format (page size, margins, titles, short CV, etc.) are given.
- The instructions in Ensuring a Blind Review have been followed.
1. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal. 4. Any part of the JMS may be referred to assuming the Author, The Article, Publication with Volume and Number plus URL for the references have been provided.
2. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
3. Authors are encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.(See The Effect of Open Access).
1. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
4. Any part of the JMS may be referred to assuming the Author, The Article, Publication with Volume and Number plus URL for the references have been provided.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.
Publishers: National Defense University, Finland and Finnish Society of Military Sciences